Pages

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Cauliflower

Whilst I am no / low wheat, I am not really low carb.  However one or two days per week I follow the "fast diet" which is also known as the 5:2.  This means that for two days a week I eat 500 calories or less, so not very much.  So lots of veggies, a little protein.  Mango and a couple of spoonfuls of Greek yogurt for breakfast; homemade vegetable soup for lunch.

Fish for tea with broccoli and cauliflower mash.

Hang on, what mash??

Cauliflower is great for a low carb day / diet.  It is so versatile.  I sometimes have a veg curry with cauliflower rice (half a head of cauliflower each, grated or blitzed to a fine crumb state in the food processor.  Either put in the micro for a few minutes or spread on a baking sheet and put in the oven for about 10 - 15 mins); apparently you can make a cauliflower crust pizza, though I haven't tried.  Today I cooked several florets (about a third of a large cauli) and a clove of garlic in a pan of boiling water.  When cooked I put it in the food processor and blended till smooth.  You could mash it.

It looked like this





Pretty convincing, huh?  And tastes good too.  Because the garlic is cooked it isn't very strong.  You can use on its own like this or as topping for a fish lie, or shepherds pie.  If I'd had some spinach I would have steamed it lightly and stirred it through.

So dinner looked like this




So a normal looking dinner for under 200 calories.  I know it could have looked a bit more enticing, maybe some carrot instead of the very few peas, or a tomato sauce for the fish but I didn't have time to prepare.  That's how it goes sometimes.

Am I hungry? Well yes, as bit, but I always sleep well and I don't wake up hungry.





No comments:

Post a Comment