Pages

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Using the freezer

I like to make good use of my freezers.  I have two, one in the kitchen and one in the utility room.  Each is stocked with a variety of homemade food - soups, casseroles, mincey things, stewed fruit as well as the usual bags of vegetables and some raw ingredients - mince, beef, fish.

Each also has an unprecedented amount of breadcrumbs made from the french sticks I had overbought for V's 18th birthday party, and left over quiches, sausage rolls and chopped up cooked sausages.  These were frozen when I knew we couldn't use them up before they would go off - the french sticks were blitzed in the food processor to make crumbs and will be used to coat white fish and also chopped up chicken for chicken nuggets.  The sausages will become a casserole at some point.

What the freezers have very little of is any kind of ready made food.  Currently there is one pizza and 3 fish fingers along with two spoonsful of vanilla ice cream.  That's it.  I dislike it with a passion and it isn't a patch on food I can make.  I tend to make lots of portions and then freeze in individual containers - I rather like butter tubs like clover as they stack well.  One of the issues of my clean eating is that there won't be any more of those in the fridge as we only have real butter now - kerrygold as much as possible because that is the only brand that I know is from grass fed cows.

It is very useful to have these dishes when food is required after a long day at work. Tonight, for example, P and J had a two portion bolognaise I had frozen from left overs.  I had a jacket potato that had been cooked and frozen - three minutes in the microwave and it was done.  Served with tuna mayo (no, I don't make my own mayo).  V took care of herself - i think she had left over party sausage rolls with the smiley faces that I don't have to own up to as they are gone now (and she bought them, in any case).

This mum certainly doesn't go here


That's right - Iceland!  Doesn't look that icy does it?

i have been fiddling around with the blog, so presentation may change as I learn.  Bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment